Sunday, December 9, 2007

It's Not Love, But It Is Like

When it comes to boy bands I have never been a fan. As a matter of fact, there are only a handful of male vocal artist out there that I enjoy listening to on a regular basis. All my music enjoyment comes from the smooth, soothing tones of the female vocalist. As a matter of fact, the few CDs that I do own are only of female vocal artists (I’m not sure what that says about me).
Anyway, I said all of that to say this. Although I was never a fan of boy bands, I must admit that I truly did enjoy New Edition when they where out there. They had a lot of nice songs that had a nice beat and positive meaning to them (I don’t know what the hell happened to them when they became that three person group, whose name slips my mind at the moment).
I didn’t really think about it at the time but New Edition led the way for other artist such as, New Kids on the Block, Boys II Men, Ol Skool, DeBarge, The Rdue Boys, The Boys, Force M.D.’s, Perfect Gentlemen, The Jets, Color Me Badd, Another Bad Creation, New Kids on the Block, All 4 One, Brownstone, the Back Street Boyz and N’sync. All of which had great success, but none of which I truly cared for.
I give them credit for singing songs without all the sex and violence that comes along with the worldly tones of today’s generation. Damn whipper-snappers.
Anyway, above is one of my favorite songs by New Editions. It still makes me smile and bounce, to this very day.

-One Man’s Opinion. Peace and Enjoy.

20 comments:

Eb the Celeb said...

Church!!!

As a group and as individual stars they set the tone for many acts to come

ADD mom, wife, sis said...

I concur...add to my list of "could not care fors" Ready for the World and the other steroid "House Party" group.

One Man’s Opinion said...

I didn't even think about Ready for the World and House Party.

Infamous said...

Whoa, I leave the scene for a little while, and when I come back you are giving props to crackhead bobby and his crew. lol. have you gone soft on me

One Man’s Opinion said...

Come on now, Infamous. You know damn well, Bobby Brown does not count on this one. He is not even in the video. I will say this, with the exception of Bobby Brown, none of the other New Edition boys were involved in controversy until they were much older and that's saying a hell of a lot.

MsKayotic said...

How in the world did you not know that New Edition paved the way for the others?!?

Man! Where you been?

I gotta admit that seeing New Edition was one of the highlights of my life when I was younger. Matter of fact, they are the only group I ever went to see in concert. My last concert...1986. I broke that going to see Frankie Beverly and Maze.

One Man’s Opinion said...

Hey, Hey, Kayos...Give a brother a break.......I said I was not down with keeping up with music groups and such, growning up.

Anonymous said...

Yes New Edition was the group even when Bobby was a part of it.

The three man group you are talking about is BBD. They had the hit song "Poison".

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

The idea of a boy band just sounds bad. I did like boys to men growing up and I had an Nsync phase…

Marcol said...

You took me way back with N.E. Those were my boys and since Im from Boston I was even more fond of them.

Whatever happened to real groups like them? Hmmm...

The three man group they became was ummm "Bell, Biv, Devoe - BVD"

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

new edition was the truth

Darius T. Williams said...

Interesting - I never was into New Edition. I was born in 1981 and I think when they were out I was just a little too young to know about them. And yea, get that female CD collection in order (I can't complain though - lol)

Lola Gets said...

Wouldnt it be more accurate to say that bands like the Jackson 5 paved the way for NE and all the others? Or do they not count cause theyre not from the same decade?
Im just saying, lol.
L

Omar Ramon said...

I LOVE THIS SONG They were pretty damn cool. They were blessed to have good material because none of them were great vocalists.

mountii said...

THIS IS MY BLUNT...i mean joint, but really i like it

Dayne Avery said...

This post brought a flashback of me being so excited to get their Candygirl album a long time ago. before cds. Damn im not that old either.

One Man’s Opinion said...

Yes, I realize that the Jackson 5 paved the way for NE, but that reference would have been sooooooo dated and it's not as if I wasn't dating myself as it is.

CapCity said...

i thought the all boy band of Brothers: the Jackson FIVE led the way....

CapCity said...

oops = posted comment before i read the rest of the comments...my "bad". LOL!

Don said...

New Edition was definitely the truth, for many years.