Sunday, September 23, 2007

What Did the Tree Do?

Here it is people. The now infamous tree that only white people were allowed to sit under. The tree where after a black student sat, nooses were hung to send a message. The tree that is responsible for sparking the whole Jena Six controversy. The poor tree…I bet it had no idea that it was racist. It’s been cut down now and no one, white or black, will ever enjoy its shade again.

I think I shall never see, A poem as lovely as a tree. A tree whose hungry mouth is pressed, Against the earth's sweet flowing breast. A tree that looks at God all day, And lifts her leafy arms to pray. A tree that may in summer wear,A nest of robins in her hair. Upon whose bosom snow has lain, Who intimately lives with the rain. Poems are made by fools like me, But only God can make a tree.- Joyce Kilmer

Can someone explain to me why the hell the tree had to be cut down? The tree was not the problem. The problem was the fact that the school, in 2007, still allowed the archaic “white’s only” mentality to strive. What up with that? Cut down the injustice. Cut down the ignorance. Cut down the hatred. Cut down the bigotry. But don’t cut down the tree! What the hell did that prove? And don’t give me that “it was a symbolic gesture” crap either!

Just as a side note: The parents of the kids that hung the nooses needs their asess kicked and so do the parents of the kids that committed the violence. Oh, and so should the administration at the school for allowing there to still be a white or black only any thing at their school. If we could get parents to do their jobs maybe we could nip some of this crap in the bud to begin with.

One Man’s Opinion. Peace.

4 comments:

Clay said...

When I heard the tree was cut down and no one gave explanations on why I thought it was odd too. Sometimes white folks like to erase things real quick.

Naijadude said...

Well it was the subject of controversy, and I bet it wouldnt be "right justice" to let blacks take over it since its known to be "whites only", just for controversy sake, let it rather be cut, but what about the warmth, the shade it provides? arghh!!!

HisLoveCoversMe said...

Execellent post my brother. I agree with you. The tree is not what needed to be removed. I know the kind of mentality the people living in Jena have. I grew up in a small town about 45 mins from there. I have to say, this is happening for a reason. Racism has been going strong for too long in those small Louisiana towns.

www.loverofoursouls.blogspot.com

life said...

I think about Jena 6 and I'm in disbelief.