Friday, September 7, 2007

The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

Far be it for me to pass judgment because that would be far from Christ-like, but look at this nigger. Let me start off by saying that until a few days ago I didn’t have any idea who Bishop Weeks or Juanita Bynum was. However, now that they are plastered all over the Internet and newspapers I feel compelled to speak on the matter. (How said is it that it took negative press for me to learn about two people who have such a positive following?)
Allegedly, a few weeks ago the good Bishop Weeks kicked, choked and stomped his estranged wife, Juanita Bynum, into the ground. It would appear if not for the act of a Good Samaritan; a bell boy for the hotel, the beaten would have been much more sever. (Good job brother, I hope you were tipped accordingly). After the beat down Bishop Weeks fled the scene of the crime, leaving Juanita Bynum battered and bruised at the scene. “Is that what Jesus would do?”
It is said that the two meet at the hotel to discuss reconciliation and then something with horribly wrong and lead to the Bishop assaulting Juanita to the point that it became a felony. A FELONY PEOPLE! Without even witnessing the aftermath of the assault, do you realize just how badly a person must be injured for the courts to consider it a Felony? Do you? No? Actually, I don’t either, but one would assume that it has to be pretty bad.
Any how, I am still trying to figure out how a talk of reconciliation turned into a “FRIDAY” beat down, and I might never find out. The truth is that the only people who know what drove the Bishop to so viciously attack the woman that he professed to love is Bishop Weeks, Juanita Bynum and God Himself and God ain’t talking. I will say this though; there is never an excuse to put your hands on another person out of anger, male or female. It is an inexcusable act, in my mind. Walk away! Leave! And if that person follows then leave faster. Hide. Hell, no one knows you better than you know yourself. So, if you know that you have a propensity for violence then you might want to be the one taking yourself out of that situation.
And then to say that you believe that this is a personal matter and everyone should stay out of it. C’mon now, Bishop. I have reviewed the tapes on YouTube. You and Juanita have made a name for yourselves by putting other couples love lives on blast. Don’t make the pie if you’re gonna be afraid to cut into it later. (Yeah, I don’t know what that means either, but it sounded like good advice in my head).
I won’t get into all of the speculations and propaganda surrounding the beating because that is messy and I don’t want this blog to be about the messiness. I want it to be about calling out the actions of black people, primarily those in the spotlight, because they have a bigger responsibility. Their actions reflect on black society as a whole whether they like it or not. It is through their actions that a lot of black folk will be judged. Don’t get me wrong. White celebrates do crazy shit on a daily basis, but let’s get one thing straight. We are not trying to be like white folks, we are only trying to get over that negative bar that society and we as a people have set for ourselves.
Sadly, every time one person steps over that bar, we have a multitude that limbo under the damn thing and yet again we give White America the Opportunity to sit back, watch, shake their heads and say; “Look at this Nigger!”
One Man’s Opinion. Peace!

(Oh, and just as a side bar. Anybody else notice that he got himself a white lawyer? I ain't mad at him though. In the words of Fred Sanford; "White dentist, please!")

No comments: