Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Audacity of Racism

Sorry that I have not posted a lot lately. I am trying to concentrate on doing the story boards and illustrations on my little kid’s book, before the motivation is gone. I am known to procrastinate out the ass, if you didn’t know.

That being said, I did want to do a quick post on Obama and his speech addressing racism and the Rev. Wright. I think it is sad that Obama had to throw his old ass “white” grandmother under the bus, sort of speak, and say how racist she is. Hell, I give people of a certain age a bypass on racism. But he let it be known that the only negro that goes up in his grandmother’s house is him, and the bitch still hides her purse and jewelry when she knows he’s coming (I’m assuming). I’m glad he decided to stand by his pastor and mentor, the Rev. Wright. I think it says a lot about the man and his character. So many politicians would have cut ties to the man, just to get where they wanted. I, personally, try to judge a person on their own merits; not by the people whom they choose to associate with, although I am fully aware that birds of a feather tend to folk together. But hell, I’m a cop, but I don’t like hanging around the bastards. No offense to my brother and sisters in blue.

I’m not saying that the Rev. Wright hasn’t said some stuff from the pulpit that I think are wrong. But I think they are wrong simple because they have nothing to do with God and everything to do with his personal beliefs and that is not the correct forum to spout off about your personal believes.

Here are a few of the comments that the good reverend is credited as saying:
“The government lied about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color. The government lied.” Now as black folks we all have heard this shit in one form or another. Hell, half of you probably believe it, but Rev. Wright didn’t come up with the damn theory. He is just speaking on some shit that he heard, liked and decided to believe. Once again, should he be speaking on it from the pulpit? Hell naw! He should have saved that shit for the barber shop or the domino table.

“We bombed Hiroshima. We bombed Naqasaki. And we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon and we never batted an eye.” Yeah, I think he stole this concept from watching the View, when Rosie O’Donnell was the co-host and mediator.
“We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because of stuff we have done overseas is now brought back into our own back yard. America’s Chickens are coming home to roost.” Well, that shit is probably true. Don’t get mad.

“The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes three strike laws and wants them to sing God Bless America. No! No! No! God damn America…for killing innocent people. God damn America for threatening citizens as less than humans. God damn America as long as she tries to act like she is God and supreme.” Hmmm, kind of hard for me to be mad at this one either. Hell, the reality is that you could probably hear a variation of this in any number of churches, regardless of the denomination. At least I think so, and remember…it’s my opinion, damn it!

I don’t even know why these next two statement are even an issue…we all know this shit, more than likely, is true; “Barack knows what is means living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich, white people. Hillary would never know that.” “Hillary ain’t never been called a nigger. Hillary has never had a people defined as a non-person.” They know that shit true. Hillary, on more than one occasion, has probably been called a bitch, but never a nigger. Hell, to be honest with you, before he decided to get into politics, Obama was probably not called a nigger all that often.

I find it very interesting that these bastards are grasping at all types of straws; in order to get at Senator Obama. Can the man really be so squeaky clean that the best they can come up with, as far as attacking him, is his middle name, church affiliation and pastor? Is it such a bad thing that “The Audacity of Hope” was taken from a line in one of Rev. Wright’s sermons? Hell, maybe it was a positive sermon; and even if it wasn’t you would think that it would be a good thing that some positive was taken from it. And the man has no control over the name his parents gave him.

And the long run, I find myself drawn closer and closer to Obama. I hate when people attack other people without just cause. I think it was part of what makes me a good police officer. Yeap, America’s racism is beginning to rear its ugly head. Or is it racism. You know, it’s kind of hard to look at it with an open mind, now that I think of it. The reality is that every politician especially does running for such a high office, are bombarded with attacks regarding one thing or another. However, I can’t get pass the fact that Obama’s all seem to be racially motivated.
Okay, I think I am gonna put that race card back into the deck and reserve comment on the issue for a later date. Maybe this has nothing to do with race and everything to do with the dirty little game of politics. Of course, if it had nothing to do with his race…then why did Obama have to give a speech on topic?

Oh, well…back to the drawing board. Literally.

-One Man’s Opinion. Peace.

20 comments:

Dave Van Buren said...

I'm not so sure this was about race as much as it was about being anti-american. It's just a coincidence that black people feel like america doesn't care about them. well maybe not a coincidence since black people have gotten shyted by our country. I agree with you that the pulpit is not the place for his personal views on the country.

dejanae said...

*nodding head in agreement*
good luck workin on the book man

i thought this was 'posed to be a quick post

One Man’s Opinion said...

It was suppose to be "quick", but I kind of got caught up, dejanae.

Curious said...

"...the bitch still hides her purse and jewelry when she knows he’s coming." You have no heart, LMFAO.

I have always believed politicians should stay out of the church, well the pulpit really. It seems kinda seedy, like as if they are pushing 2nd hand cars or something in the House of the Lord. But the church isn't just about praising God, but it should also serve the community. One way to do that is to comment on what is going on and have people change their ways or have them focus on something that would be beneficial to them.

I may or may not agree with the Rev. Wright but if he can't say shit in his own church, then that barber shop that you speak about is not going to be any easier for him to get his point across. I've been to barber shops and they argue back with you.

James Tubman said...

it doesn't matter if the government invented aids

if you don't have a cure you're f#*ked anyway

One Man’s Opinion said...

that's the point, curious. Open debate. In the pulpit you just have a captive audience and that's just unfair. Damn it!

the poet Shazza said...

I am pulled in different directions on the subject. More so on the side that I felt, Barak Obama needed not to have spoken to people about his Church and Pastor BUT I also know this is America and like it or not, regardless of how many KING-LIKE speeches Obama makes, there IS two Americas. The very nature of our country exists in dualities.

When talking to my Parents (the radical activist that they are), we couldn't come to a mutual understanding as to what and why the Obama/Wright Issue is playing so much until we agreed that there are two Churches in America, a Black Church (Historically the spirit and backbone for Black survival and liberation) and a White Church (Historically a justifier of Oblivious Oppression and Socio-economic Apathy. In other words, White Churches have traditionally and historically adapted its moral stance on cultural oppression in order to cleans their spirit of blame.

When talking about the Christian Churches, it is understood that the leaders (pastors, bishops, deacons, etc.) represent the Words of Jesus/God and that all in his pulpit should follow the Shepard that herds the Flock. If the message is not what one feels represents their belief and or faith, then one can look for another place of worship or start their own church. That is how most White people see their connection to their Church. Blacks have a more loyal connection. Blacks can filter in and out what does not call to them and move on. So when Whites ask, "Why didn't Obama leave his Church when he heard Wright saying things he doesn't agree with", they can't wrap their heads around the notion that his Faith is more than a MAN but the words and wisdom that can possibly flow through THAT MAN.

So like many things BLACK in America, they have to softly stroke Whites through the "Common Sense" process because of their complacency in being THEMSELVES for years.

One Man’s Opinion said...

On point, Shazza, as usual. I agree with a lot of what you had to say. The pastor of the church that I went to the majority of my life is a nice man, but I hated when he started voicing his opinons from the pulpit. As soon as I was old enough (and had moved out of my parent's house) I stopped going to his church, but the fact is that there is a bond there. I still go, when I feel the need to go to church, because they are the ones who know me (kind of) and they are where my family is. It's not that easy to break hold of a bond like that, no matter what your belief system.
What white people fail to understand, I believe, is that when black people, churches and stuff, speak about black pride, responsiblity and things such as that...all thought it sounds racial, it is not stemmed in hatred, but love and empowerment. It is based on legacy of having not. I have been listening and they want to put what the church's mission statement in the same category as things that white supermist say when they speak of white power, but that is not the case. Like parents, white folks just don't understand.

Mizrepresent said...

I absolutely loved this post...really, i hadn't listened to what the Rev said, or listened to Obama's last speech, i guess bc, hell, i'm just tired, got my on ish to deal with. But u brought it home...and i know the way i feel about this election, Obama is true...he is the true candidate, he is the truth of this nation, the bridge between black and white, but they don't want to see it, they don't want to associate with it, because they are still HATING! This society, this country was built on racism, do we think that it would go away and not be the prime factor in this campaign..i think not. But dayum good post i had more to say, but got a phone call and forgot shit. Hey good luck on your book!

One Man’s Opinion said...

You so funny, Miz. "You got a phone call and forgot shyt." How funny is that. Thanks for the comp.

cathouse teri said...

I had to come check you out, since you went through "fifty million sites" to find the Gunfighter! :)

Enjoyed the post.

E. Christian Wallace said...

I'm like dejanae..but I understand. Sometimes you get into a flow and can't stop until you get it all out.

You hit on a lot of good points. I've heard that "God damn America" quite a few times, but of course none were as publicized or direct.

I'm interested to see how things go over these next few months. Honestly, I thought things would be over by now. I wonder how much of an effect the rain had on the polls here.

I also wonder how much an effect both the speech and the comments will have on the future polls.

Great post.

MsKayotic said...

Stop the procrastination and go ahead and finish the book man!

I agree with you. Obama could have done what any other person would have done and that shows his character.

You're right though. Everything.

JayBee said...

Excellent post. Still haven't heard that speech from the Reverand but I've heard part of Obama's speech. Whereas I don't think pastors should push one candidate over another, I think they do have a responsibility to encourage parishioners to exercise their civic duty to vote. In many cases, church is the only place some people may learn anything about people on the political scene.

One Man’s Opinion said...

They just looking for a reason to hate, Wallace. It is sad. It is also sad that they say that if Obama wasn't black he wouldn't be sitting where he is sitting today. What the fuck. Since when is being black a positive trait for being a canidate for presidency and being a white woman negative. I missed that memo.

Jaybee, I have no problem with a pastor urging their parish to get out in vote. But it should stop right there. They should keep there opinions to themselves. I don't want a "who would Jesus vote for?" t-shirt, damn it.

Desy said...

politicians are ugly with each other... while still smiling in each others face and 'hob nobbing'.

Obama is a smart man. He's doing everything in his power to look and act better than the rest because he knows the dirty game will further perpetuate the negative notions of the black population. And yes, I think he's been smart for most his life- thus reducing the amo that politicians have to throw at him...

my dad has told me that since I was like 5... Don't be surprised with what catches up with you in the future, so make sure not to make any HUGE mistakes... just little ones that can easily be discarded... Looks like Obama followed that same creed.

MsKayotic said...

Sorry my bad. It should play. Go try it again.

As for art, I have absolutely nothing against art. Nothing. I love art. Frank Morrison and WAK and a few others.

Would you like me to blog more about art?

JayBee said...

foolish! your reply is only funny because of the naïveté that church people are infamous for possessing. you can probably make some serious cash off a shirt with that logo.

One Man’s Opinion said...

You don't have to blog more about art. I just wanted it to be apart of your brain. You had music. Why does everyone leave out art? We visual artist have to live to.

mountii said...

“The government lied about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color. The government lied.”

I can understand why Rev. Wright thinks that...the government has been known to unethically and illegal experiment on blacks in the early to mid 1900s...have u ever heard of the TUSKEGEE SYPHILIS PROJECT